Five Tips to Clean Your Closet
Wednesday, August 31, 2016
Going through your closet can be an overwhelming task. Here are five closet cleaning tips to make it more manageable – and help kids in Bellevue!
- Clean House – Remove everything from your closet and evaluate your space. Hang items only if you’re certain they’re keepers.
- Three Sweeps – Do an initial sweep to gather things you know you don’t want, a second sweep of things you’re uncertain of and a final sweep to confirm that the items remaining in your closet warrant the space.
- Flip It! – Turn all the hangers in your closet backward. When you’ve worn something, turn the hanger forward. This is an easy way to keep track of what pieces you actually wear and what items are just taking up space. Plus it can help to mix up your wardrobe and cut back on outfit repeats!
- Invest In Organization – Throw away wire hangers and use black velvet ones – it will inspire you to keep things looking neat. Additionally, the next time you run out of hangers it won’t be so easy (or affordable) to run out and get more.
- One In, One Out – This is a tough one, but some rigorous closet-cleaners recommend getting rid of one item every time you buy something new. It’ll save you money and space, forcing you to think twice about a new purchase and keeping your closet pared down to the essentials.
Still stuck? Answer these questions and give your closet the “tough love” it needs.
- Does it fit? If so, is it flattering?
- Have I worn it in the last 12 months?
- If I went shopping right now, would I buy this?
- Does this work with my current lifestyle?
- Can I wear it in at least three different outfits?
- Does it make me happy to wear?
Next time you head to Bellevue Square, bring the items you no longer use and donate them to Thrift Culture. Just remember, if it isn’t of the quality that you would give to someone you love, we can’t sell it to support the families we serve. Thrift Culture is located on the third floor of the mall, next to the Kids’ Cove. If you have a larger donation, you’re welcome to use our donation bin or have a volunteer meet you at the will call. Thrift Culture helps your donations find a loving new home – and make room in your closet for a few new additions!